BRAND NEW BLOG: Launched December 2010.
Keep an eye on this blog by clicking 'follow' above or follow via Twitter, below right...
Truly time-poor? Key trends are written in BOLD!

Monday 16 May 2011

INSPIRING SPACE: Brancusi's Paris Studio



Apropos of nothing, other than it keeps popping into my head at the moment, I thought I'd do a post on this amazing place. It's the studio of Romanian-born sculptor Constantin Brancusi. Once located near Montparnasse, it was later shipped wholesale to a specially constructed new home at the foot of the Pompidou Centre. When I first visited in around 2003, (as part of a Tate press trip, prior to their 2004 Brancusi show), I was wowed by the simple beauty of the space and it left me with a passion for 'the New Simplicity' that has been a major influence on me ever since. The spartan austerity of the white space and the wooden tools and sleeping deck is an incredible contrast the richness of materials of the marble and brass sculptures.